Saturday, November 23, 2013

I Pity You, Mr. Stafko

Last week, Chad Stafko wrote a piece for the Wall Street Journal entitled "OK, You're a Runner.  Get Over It" with the subtitle "Running a marathon is hard enough without also patting yourself on the back every step of the way."  I won't do Mr. Stafko the favor of posting a link to his drivel, as I'm sure it has already far exceeded the number of readers it actually deserves.

In his piece, Stafko calls out runners for being insufferable, skinny showoffs.  He calls us out for having our own magazines, clothing, and even specialized stores in which to buy that clothing.  Worst of all, he calls us out for being proud of our accomplishments as runners.  I imagine he would like to rip that extremely obnoxious 26.2 sticker off of your bumper sticker.  Even worse, he decries the act of running as only a chance for the highly narcissistic runner to parade throughout their neighborhood rubbing their fitness in the faces of their sedentary neighbors.  I know this is the only reason I continue running and I am positive it is the same reason that gets so many runners out the door.

I cannot believe this article made it to the Wall Street Journal, but somehow it did.  This piece gives us as runners a chance to defend our sport against a highly ignorant American.  Running is so much more than a chance to show off, and this is what someone who has never given the sport a chance fails to understand.  Anyone who finishes a marathon accomplishes something to be proud of.  I have stood at the finish lines of marathons after finishing to cheer on my fellow runners.  After I finished the Vermont Marathon this spring in 2:22, I felt extreme pride in what I had accomplished.  I have seen pictures of myself as I crossed the finish line and saw my time.  The look of pride on my face is undeniable.  As I stood around the finish cheering on everyone else, I realized that every finisher had the same look on their face.

Maybe Mr. Stafko has never tried running and has no idea why people would do it.  I would be glad to offer some insight to this poor man.  I run because I love it.  I don't give a damn who sees me or congratulates me on a race.  I have loved to run ever since I discovered I had a talent for it.  There is no feeling in sport that compares to the freedom and clarity you can feel on a run, out by yourself and your thoughts, your body flowing over the ground.  Yes, training makes you incredibly tired at times, and there are plenty of times I question why I keep pounding myself into the ground.  The reason - that indescribable feeling of pride and accomplishment that comes at the end of a well run race.

Do we as runners toot our own horn sometimes?  Hell yeah.  Should we?  Hell yeah.  Runners are some of the most humble athletes I have ever been around.  I have played baseball and football.  Athletes in those sports do not compare to runners one bit when it comes to team spirit and camaraderie.  There is something to be said for the bonds that are formed between runners as they push through their training together.  You will never find a runner who will not sincerely ask another runner how their race went.  When we do this, we are not simply performing lip service.  We really care.  I would rather listen to a friend tell me about their great race than brag about my own.  We do not beat our chests and spew bravado like other athletes.  We simply perform the most basic mode of human transportation because it feels good.

When you view running through such a cynical lens, you miss a lot.  You miss the stories of injured soldiers and firefighters returning to the starting line, prosthetics and all.  You miss the story of a California runner who crawled through the final straightaway of the race, struggling to finish and clinch a state title for a team whose coach is battling ALS.  You miss the story of Joey Stoltz, a member of my club, who has battled back from heart trouble to finish several marathons.

So, to you, Mr. Stafko, I say give running a chance.  You could even stop into one of those silly specialty running stores.  I'm sure the workers of the store won't recognize you and would be more than willing to help you into a new pair of shoes and shorts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment