Monday, February 24, 2014

3 Weeks to Go!

Last week was another solid week of training as I prepare for the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach.  We had a slight break in the winter weather at the end of the week, and I made the most of it.  Towards the end of this week, I was definitely noticing a little weariness building up in my legs, but I pushed through it knowing that once this week was over, my training load will start to lighten as I begin to taper and freshen up for race day.  I did my last hard 20 mile run this weekend and have one more key workout to look forward to next weekend, 3 x 4 mile.  From there out, it will be mostly easy running and several short workouts and tempo runs just to keep the legs loose.  The bulk of my work is now behind me and I just have to relax and trust in the hard work that I have done the past 3 months.

Monday - 12 miles @ 6:20 pace
Tuesday - AM run - 4.5 miles, PM run - 12 miles - 3 mile warmup, 3-2-1 mile in 14:57-9:50-4:45, 3 mile cooldown
Wednesday - 15 miles @ 6:16 pace
Thursday - AM run - 4.5 miles, PM run - 10 miles @ 5:58 pace
Friday - AM run - 4.5 miles, PM run - 12 miles - 2 mile warmup, 8 mile tempo @ 5:11 pace, 2 mile cooldown
Saturday - 11 miles @ 6:16 pace
Sunday - 20 miles @ 5:38 pace - progressive run on a rolling, hilly loop - first 5 miles around 6:00 pace, from 5-10 miles @ 5:40 pace, from 10-15 miles @ 5:30 pace, from 15-20 miles @ 5:25 pace with last 3 miles @ 5:20 pace

Total - 105.5

The overall pace of my training runs was very good this week.  From here out, I will try and keep things in the 6:30 range on non-workout days.  My tempo run on Friday felt very comfortable, and I was surprised when I looked at the final time that I had averaged 5:11 as the effort felt more like 5:20-5:30 type effort.  I am also incredibly pleased with my long run on Sunday.  I have done faster long runs, but not on loops with the amount of hills that this one had.  Given the terrain I was running on, I am very pleased that I was able to run near marathon pace the last three miles and close my last mile in 5:11.

No comments:

Post a Comment